Monday, August 23, 2010

IT HAS BEEN SO LONG!!!



It has been so long since my last post. I am really bad about keeping up with my blog. I have been working on a lot of things. I was even asked to write a "How To" in a Holiday Somerset Studios. That was extremely exciting for me. Heard that my job was cut at the school district I work for so now I am in limbo. Yesterday I decided to try and make a doll head. I got this cool old doll from an estate sale and wanted to use the head as a mold. I made the mold out of fimo pressing it onto 1/2 of the dolls head. Did the same for the other half. I baked the 2 halves in little glass ramekins so they would keep their shape. Once cooled I brushed them with cornstarch and pressed softened fimo into each half and carefully pulled each half out and reshaped a little and then baked. When these were cool I sanded and carved the edges to make them fit together the best I could. I put heavy gel medium on both edges and then a rubberband around the whole head and let dry. It didn't seem stable enough so I wrapped this edging material made out of? Not really sure it looks like you might use it to make baskets out of. Then I put on mre gel medium and let dry again. After the piece had dried I painted on 2 coats of gesso. When gesso was dry I used paint and pastel to age it. ALOT of work for 1 measly doll head, but I am pleased how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment